Friday, January 4, 2008

How conversational are you?

Hey to all my Blogger readers,

Well, Christmas 2007 and New Years have passed and now back to living. I have been groovin' to Michael McDonald's Christmas album today called In The Spirit. How many out there like Michael McDonald??? I call him, THE VOICE. I so wished I could sing like him. He is too cool. And don't ya know I sing along with him when I can. The last cut on the album is called A World Out of A Dream and he is at his best. But the whole album is his very best and I would recommend it to anyone.

Well, the last few days I've had the oppotunity to view two films called The Perfect Stranger and Another Perfect Stranger adapted from Dinner with a Perfect Stranger . It started me to thinking why it is so hard for us Christians to get out of the "Christianese" we speak. I mean, how long does it actually take to be conversational enough that we identify enough with people to win them on their level?

Gosh, typically, we lay this religious thing on people. That's too bad because some of us, who are not religous have to get them turned around that Jesus is not religion. In the second film, the unbelieving person who was raised a Christian starts to out-right reject her upbringing and runs away, only to sit next on a jet by, you-know-who, Jesus himself. The second film was every bit as challenging as the first one in how unthinkable it could be that Jesus just appeared to them. That was entertaining enough, but I don't want to give anything away for those who have not seen them yet. I saw them on a TBN affiliate in our area.

I'm into my web projects at work and really like the challenge of it. I will be responding more to SarahsD more in the near future. She has some great things to think about.

In answer to SarahsD question, my wife received from me for Christmas a diamond solitaire necklace to match her solitaire ring she got on our 25th wedding anniversary. It was a beauty and a buy. She likes it.

My wife's sister-in-law is in surgery today so I need to get over to the hospital to support their family.

So, anybody out there have some thoughts to share? Give me some comments people!

Life comes at you fast!

Pastor Mark

1 comment:

Connie Mae said...

Well, I have no idea who Michael McDonald is. I have never heard of him. I am sorry. I read the book Dinner with a Perfect Stranger. Good book. If it is the one you are referring to. It is so very true. Christians tend to get backed down by the non Christians than vice versa. Why?? I don't know!! I can honestly admit, I have been there and it is so much easier to just walk away than to win the battle for Christ! You are right, too many people have "religion" crammed in their brains that they don't want to listen to anyone about Jesus!! How can we go about just being able to talk about Jesus and what He has done for us and what He can do for them? I am just speaking in general not about us, persay. I believe people find it just too easy to escape the topic than to teach about Jesus, in a real way. I know with my family, they just think that Christians are completely perfect and that they shouldn't mess up. I mean growing up, I was the only Christian in my family and boy, I wasn't allowed to argue with anyone and I wasn't allowed to walk away either. I was always in a no win situation and I think that is what has happened to people spreading the gospel. They have been criticized for so long that they can't take it. There were many times that I couldn't handle the pressure. So maybe that is the answer. Well, great blog. I want to see the movies. Have a great weekend!!