Wednesday, January 16, 2008

How to feel your mortality

Blogger readers,

I just found out yesterday that a high school class mate passed away by viewing the obit in the newspaper. Somehow, we all feel our mortality when we see someone we know in an obit. No gettin' around it. It tells us we do not live forever as humans and we have to make the best of our time here on earth. So much life to live and a lifetime to experience it. However, I hear from many older people that Life comes and goes so fast. Obviously, when you're young, you don't think about it, unless someone dies.


Ok, ok, I know this is too morbid and sad for most to think about. But we can't chase these thoughts out of our minds forever. Some day all of us will die, unless of course you are a Christian who believes in the "afterlife" and knows there are only two destinations from which we must decide, by how we live our lives. When Jesus comes back in the sky, we will be transformed, and to me, that means we don't die, but become more than what we are now. Attaining more than human life, eternal life.


I say to myself, It's a Wednesday, I can think like this if I want. Geez, I need a hit of coffee.
Seriously, I think these thoughts hit me most when someone I know from my youth dies. It is certainly thought provoking. And the Sara Groves CD I have on right now really makes me think about things.


Folks, make the best of today. That's all we have right now. And remember what Jesus said, "Take heart! I have overcome the world." Such a bold statement, and full of optimism, hope for the future!


In honor of my classmate, Linda Billings Minger, I wish to say, "thank you Linda fo all you gave our world".





Life comes at you fast!
Pastor Mark

1 comment:

preacherman said...

Mark great post.
I really enjoy reading your blog.
God bless your ministry.